National Voter Registration Act (NVRA)

Motor Voter Bill

The National Voter Registration Act (NVRA) is commonly referred to as the "Motor Voter" bill because it provides for new voter registration opportunities at all DMV offices when you apply for or renew your New York State Driver’s license or ID card.

Agency-Based Voter Registration

Residents also have the opportunity to register to vote at a wide variety of other New York State agencies. This component of the National Voter Registration Act is called the "Agency-Based Voter Registration Program", and it provides registration opportunities when applying for services or assistance at state agencies.

In addition to the Department of Motor Vehicles, you may apply to register to vote at any of the following New York State agency offices.

  • Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
  • City Universities of New York(CUNY)
  • Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired
  • Department of Health - WIC Program
  • Department of Labor
  • Department of Social Services
  • Department of State
  • Division of Veterans’ Services
  • Military Recruiting Offices
  • Office for the Aging
  • Office of Mental Health
  • Office For People With Developmental Disabilities
  • State Universities of New York(SUNY)
  • Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation(ACCES-VR)
  • Workers’ Compensation Board

Mail-In Voter Registration Applications can be obtained from any of the New York State Agencies listed in the Agency-Based section of this page.

You may also obtain a voter registration application by calling your county board of elections, 1-800-FOR-VOTE or, by filling out the online voter application request form.